Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Relationships


The following question came up in class: "If your really good friend was in a bad/unfaithful relationship, would you tell them?" I was kind of surprised at how many people wouldn't tell their friends if they were in a bad relationship, saying that it's that person's business what they do. It reminded me of a time in my life when I was dating someone pretty seriously and we had been talking about getting married. We had been on and off a few times, but I knew that I loved him. We had been ring shopping and planned when and where we would get married... I was ready to give up everything to be with him. I remember one night I came home from being with some friends and I started telling my roommate something about this boy I was dating, let's call him Chase. So there I was talking about Chase and decided it was time to go to bed and as I was walking to my bathroom my roommate said, "Wait... I wasn't sure if I should tell you this or not, but I think you should know. I saw Chase at a school event tonight and he was holding another girl's hand... and kissing her." I knew she had seen Chase before and I trusted her, so I went to talk to Chase and it was all true. Not to mention he had been dating this girl for a few weeks (while we had been talking about our wedding). Ouch. If my roommate never would have told me... I don't know what would have happened. I am so grateful that she did tell me because it made a difference in my life. It was hard, it hurt and it sucked; but I will forever be indebted to her for telling me. I am sure that it wasn't easy for her, but I am grateful to her. Telling me was the right thing to do.

No comments: