Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jim-Jam-A-Lam

What used to be a sometimes challenging (in good and bad ways) relationship with my sister Jamie has now become a very good relationship. :) She text me yesterday and told me that she was famous, but that I would have to check her facebook to see why. Last semester I could have gone weeks without texting/calling her but now it's weird if I don't hear from her everyday. I may not have ever heard about her being "famous" if we only talked every few weeks, but she was able to share with me this fantastic video that she is in. The background story is that a girl down at BYU in Provo was sick of hearing about Jimmer so she wrote a letter complaining about him...

"I can’t walk across campus without hearing Jimmer Fredette’s name a dozen times. His name comes up everywhere: in class, at work, during lunch … really, people? Cut it out with the Jimmer worship. Last time I checked, idol worship was very much frowned upon in the scriptures.

Don’t you have a life to live? Then quit wasting it in front of the TV or in lines at the Marriott Center. At the very least, stop trying to convert those of us who don’t follow BYU sports and don’t care that baseball and badminton are two different things. Pushing basketball on us isn’t going to make us like it any better. I’m not blaming Jimmer for all this; was it Nephi’s fault in the Book of Mormon when his brothers worshiped him?

As far as I’m concerned, Jimmer is perfectly free to live his dreams. If he reaches his goals and lives his dreams, more power to him. I would like the same courtesy from his fans: let me live my own dreams in peace, even if they don’t include ever sitting in the Marriott Center screaming my brains out."

Michelle Peralta
Apple Valley, Calif.

Then she proceeded to post pretty much the jist of it as her Facebook status bringing upon herself almost 1,000 comments before she blocked it and eventually deleted her Facebook profile!

My little sister was in a video made by a student at BYU to get Michelle Peralta to go to a basketball game. I love being a better communicator in this relationship with my sister because I get to hear about stuff like this!!

Here's the website for the video: http://www.mwcconnection.com/2011/2/8/1983413/video-byu-fan-leaves-byu-tickets-to-jimmer-hater

No comments: