Monday, January 24, 2011

Skiing Disaster


Wow. Talk about trying something new. I mentioned before that I love to snowboard! Well this past Saturday I went up to Targhee with my roommate Ariel and our guy friend Payson, who both ski. As we were talking on one of the ski lifts I mentioned that I always have wanted to try skiing so Ariel told me that if her ski boots fit her then I could try out her skis. Ohhhhh man... hahaha! The last run of the day we decided to switch, "lucky" for me her ski boots fit perfectly. I was a bit nervous as I walked out of the lodge, picked up her red skis and clicked the boots in. I can't imagine what was going on in everyone's minds at the bottom of the lift watching this skier trying so hard to just get into the line to get on the ski lift, who knew that scooting along in skis took so much effort! Getting off the lift was easy-peasy, much easier than getting off on a snowboard that is for sure (although Ariel did a good job on my board). Neither Ariel or Payson knew what to tell me as we started off on the run except that I could "snowplow" or turn my skis inward to slow down (I had seen little children using this same method although their parents/ski instructors would tell them to "pizza"- I'm glad that Payson and Ariel didn't say that to me because I don't want my favorite food ruined by the image of me trying to do that while skiing.) Well the first bit down the cat track I was just laughing at myself because I kept getting nervous when I started going "too fast" not that my snail's pace would ever have been too fast, but still. I kept just falling over if I got going too fast. Well never fear... I got the hang of just going straight and that helped a lot. Going straight on skiis is easy peasy and a lot less intimidating than cruising straight on my board, at least to me. Well I got a little better at turning back and forth on the skis but was better turning right then left which was sometimes problematic. Overall it was a good experience except the time I crossed my skis somehow and smacked my head super hard on the cat track and this little kid (on skis, of course, who was pro) comes past and stops right in front of me and just stares at me laying on the cat track with my arms sprawled out and the ski sticking straight in the air. Haha, then his sister and parents stopped too to see if I was all right, good thing I'm resilient. It was pretty funny. I'd love to try skiing again because I thought it was really fun, and definitely a totally different experience from snowboarding!

No comments: