Friday, March 25, 2011

Forgiveness?


Last week I got pretty mad at a friend of mine, he ditched me, ignored me and lied to me (it wasn't the first time). I'm not the kind of person who was just gonna let him walk all over me like he did and I was ready for a fight. I was ready to chew him out good and tell him that his behavior was unacceptable and that he needed to be a better friend, that I deserved for him to be a better friend. I had everything nicely planned out. Then I decided to go to devotional, and my friend is lucky that I did. God knew that I would go to devotional, and He knew that I would need to hear this particular devotional talk on Forgiveness by Charles N. Andersen (University Resources Vice President at BYU-Idaho), and He knew that I would get a "spiritual-smack-in-the-face" from it. I am glad that God knows what He is doing and that He was able to teach me a priniciple and change my mind about starting a fight with my friend. So there I am sitting at devotional and the speaker says, "Forgiveness is not easy. When someone has hurt us or those we care about, that pain can be almost overwhelming. It can feel as if the pain or the injustice is the most important thing in the world and that we have no choice but to seek vengeance. Forgiveness is not instantaneous. It comes more readily when we have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and trust His word. Such faith and trust enables us to see others as our brothers and sisters even in the worst of times and to look beyond ourselves and our own feelings of hurt or anger. Christ, the Prince of Peace, teaches us a better way. It can be very difficult to forgive someone the harm they’ve done us, but when we do, we open ourselves up to a better future. No longer does someone else’s wrong doing control our course. When we forgive others, it frees us to choose how we will live our own lives." God helped me to realize how important forgiveness is, but it didn't make the wrong right, or keep my friend from being unkind again... So I just have to wonder, I understand that forgiveness is a good thing to do. However, there is so much mercy in forgiveness... but where is the justice? Maybe it's just my place to forgive, but I guess that doesn't mean it's an immediate process.

No comments: